Monday, September 10, 2007

Here's where my mind is going lately. Tim and I were talking about the whole 'thumb' issue (...see previous post). Here's the thing....I wonder what i would have posted if i had broken my thumb? Would I still proclaim that God is good?? This has been going around in my mind lately anyway. I think "o, how good God is that I arrived home safely", or " How good God is for keeping my thumb from being broken". BUT isn't God still good and even kind, if I would have broken my thumb, or gotten in a car crash? Isn't God using those 'bad' things for my good and therefore, still being kind and/or good?? Is a parent being a good parent when they spank their kids or a good parent when they never spank or discipline?

3 comments:

mwh said...

I don't really like to think about this issue (though I should), because it reminds me of how lopsided my gratitude is. I'm basically only thankful when God does things my way. But I should rejoice always! Thanks for the reminder.

mwh said...

In answer to you question though, I don't think you would have posted if you had broke your thumb: it's really hard to type with a broken thumb!

[See, just one more example of the many dumb thing always running through my head. At least I posted the serious one first. :-) ]

cgl said...

Here is an excellent link concerning this issue and how the "prosperity gospel" is linked to this kind of attitude we have. So often I slam the prosperity gospel (and rightly so) but at the same time only glorify God when things go my way...what a hypocrite I am. Thanks for the reminder.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ukcV-xtU3hc