Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Retraining the Brain in Marriage

Here are some things I have been thinking about in relation
to marriage.
Just some initial 'helps and corrections to my current thoughts
and wrong attitudes. I realize my blog doesn't follow a common
theme and jumps all over the place, but bear with me.
These are all things I struggle through, you may not, but I feel like
these are so important for me--so thought I would share.

...Some of them are things to pray, but most of this is just plain ole
practical....

-Date your husband/wife ....even if it has to be an in house date
(kids to bed early, special quiet meal together,
etc, be creative).... just spend a little planning....
don't worry about how extravagant it is...just putting some
simple thoughts into it...it doesn't have to be perfect, just done
(there's my get er done attitude)....don't wait for him/her to
do it, it's your responsibility.

-Pray that you will have a love for him/her....sometimes it
is hard to love, but the love has to be there...only God can
put love there, you can't make it happen. You still have
to love though, no getting off the hook. (does that make sense?)

-Fight in your mind (this takes some prayer)
and 'turn off' the bad things that your mind says about your
husband/wife. this is an an EMERGENCY! You MUST MAKE
your mind STOP! no questions...this HAS TO HAPPEN......
they know or sense...
when you are not right towards them. Sometimes
a visual in your mind is helpful. When you notice it
happening you visualize a
cloud in the sky or a beach view, or whatever you
want to visualize.

This visual can act as a trigger when you realize it is
happening so that you can at least acknowledge that it is
happening, Then after you know it, you have to fight with all
your worth to make it stop...sometimes it takes days.... Keep
using your visual not only as a trigger but also
as a distraction. Use Scripture as a redirection for your mind
as well, that would be the best tool. An illustration of
is that
I see/feel that my husband has done something wrong
(this may
or may not be a true thing, almost always it isn't true).... and I
can't stop thinking about it, processing it, going over it in
my mind, etc.... the thing is, this blinds me to any of my
issues, because my mind makes it seems so gigantic
because it is such
a constant in my mind, that I can't possibly be doing
anything wrong
...
It can feel like a sub-conscious " i am going crazy, war" But
i feel like this
voice MUST STOP because of the terrible destruction that it
leaves.....
So it requires a re-training of the brain. Which obviously takes time,
but MUST happen.

-Forgive and/or let go whenever you can....Fight (with God's help)
for forgiveness, even when an apology isn't offered

-Do not expect ANYTHING from your husband/wife, but love
who he/she is, for what he/she is, as is, in
front of you.... this also probably requires a re-training
of the brain as well.


I realizing more and more that marriage is hard work,
BUT it is
incredibly worth it. The work can become
harder or easier, but always worth it.

3 comments:

kt said...

I appreciate all of your thoughts (& ideas for taking action) on this topic. It's so hard to accept personal responsibility and so easy to project blame onto the other person for whatever makes you unhappy.

I'd say, though, that I don't think it's wrong to have expectations of your spouse--that they exhibit basic character qualities or at least strive to do so...even that they desire to grow the marriage relationship and make an effort to do so through proper communication, time/energy, working through issues...It's not that expectations are wrong, but rather how reasonable are they?

Michael would say expecting another trip to Pier 1 is unreasonable. I'm not as convinced!

lisatatj said...

kt....i agree with you on the expectations...i think that i did make an overstatement...I suppose a better way to say that is when I don't expect something, I won't be disappointed and/or angry which leads me to other 'issues'...so yes, I agree, but for me personally, it is generally not great for me as I begin to develop that as a habit.

thanks for the help with that

Anonymous said...

I'm in the don't expect anything camp. It's just better in my house. Leaves a lot of room to recover:) Ever expectantly waiting on the Lord! Jen