Sunday, February 03, 2008

Blogging for Tim

I have a bunch more time in general than Tim to blog. I told him he needs to blog this quote he likes...but he said, you do it for me. He has a blog, but it has one entry from like a year and a half a ago. So we may share this blog...but I will let you know if it's from Tim.

He saved his quote, but I can't bring it up, so I searched for it... and I believe this is it. I will ask him when he gets back :)

"Cowardice asks the question, 'Is it safe?' Expediency asks the question, 'Is it politic?' Vanity asks the question, 'Is it popular?' But, conscience asks the question, 'Is it right?' And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because one's conscience tells one that it is right."
-- Martin Luther King Jr.

btw...MLK Jr has a bunch of good quotes


4 comments:

mwh said...

I like quote. Kudos to Tim.

Although for myself, I worry that my conscience has been desensitized sufficiently to make it not the safest guide. Just a thought for myself; I still like the heroic nature of the quote.

Tim said...

I learned a long time ago that my conscience was not possibly desensitized but was definitely desensitized and a very unreliable guide. Since then, I've tried to make Scripture my conscience but unfortunately my appetite for Scripture is stunted, making my conscience stunted.

Please Lord fill me with your Spirit to counsel and guide me, to tenderize my conscience and stoke my appetite.

lisatatj said...

I appreciate your comments... and think it's kinda funny how different people pick up different things out of quotes...i think that what we picked up on is to not make an excuse when you know it is the right thing to do...particularly safety, that seems to be a big one in our culture

mwh said...

I agree.