Thursday, May 22, 2008

Obsessions

I realized that I have another obsession that I didn't include in my side-bar. Unlike my other obsessions, I can trace this back to it's origin. I can also see steps to obsession in my mind like a movie. It started with a sermon and a video and a tug at my heart. Than sweeping...I think sweeping was the last straw.

The story- I sat under a sermon and realized the truth of abortion. I watched a video and saw the truth of abortion. I realized that sin is sin and my sin is as ugly as abortion...I have no right to look down on any sin, because in God's eyes...my sin looks like abortion. At the same time, I realized I WANTED to do something... I must do something. This is a huge mess that we humans have created, if can I do something, than I must! No way to explain it, just that I believe God put this obsession in my heart!
As I swept my kitchen, I swept up a penny. I thought to throw it away, not worth much, right.... than my obsession kicked in and I said, NO, everything I can give to the PCC must be given. Pennys cannot be thrown away, if they can help the PCC. Now, I am to selfish to give all I have to the center, but I have commited a portion of my life to the center, more than I ever thought I would.

The Obsession- The Pregnancy Care Center and the ministry there. I realize it sounds normal and ordinary--but it's NOT! (none of my obsessions are normal to me...they make me go crazy, talk non-stop to strangers, and act insane in front of people.).... Anyway, this is NOT normal, because God works and has His hand there. He answers prayers, like I have never experienced before. I sit with someone in a counseling room and ask what I can pray for them. I pray. Next time they come back.... God answered those prayers more directly and specifically than I could have ever imagined! They are amazed and I am amazed! They 'see' God and my faith is strengthened like crazy! This is just a small example of what I have seen. One day a lady came in and her obstacle to carrying the pregnancy to term made me feel like I should say, "go ahead, end it". But I knew better. Instead, I just prayed. The next time I talked to her, God removed and changed the obstacles!

The benefits- I work with wonderful people... Before each shift we pray for each other for various things... If I ever want prayer...I ask these people. We pray for each other there and God answers in MIRACULOUS ways... it is unexplainable, apart from God.

So than there are the things I DON'T see. We plant little seeds of God's love and God's word in there hearts. We may NEVER see how uses those seeds. We do desire to preserve life. BUT there is so much more that God does there. Our purpose is to LOVE people and show them Jesus. If they get that, we have accomplished a huge goal... If we preserve a life, what an unbelievable blessing. We cannot control what the woman chooses, but we can always plant a seed!

The 31st of May is our annual Lifewalk. I will be there and support my obsession. I still need to raise pledges. I want to go out to my community to ask, but have not made it that far. (that is the confession part of my story- I hate asking for money ;) .... So I am asking you to support my obsession as well... please join the Lifewalk, pray for the Lifewalk or give me money (hate that part). Apart from the Lifewalk, there are many service opportunities at the Pregnancy Care Center... just ask me! I would be obsessed to tell you about it!

6 comments:

Made in His Image said...

Do you have a website to make donations? How do we do that???
Jeannie

lisatatj said...

Well, we as participants raise donations/pledges. So just contact me and let me know that you want to donate a certain amount...however large or small...i don't care... a penny even ;) ... Than you can either give or mail it to me or the center can bill you...i just have to submit your info to them and the amount. Basically it is a donation/pledge thing. You can pledge to give (they probably bill you in a month or 2) or you can give money to me.

Make sense??

If you live in the area, you can stop by the Center and get a pledge form or your church may have them and go from there.

Amanda said...

Lisa, good post.

I know what you mean about asking for support, though. ;) It can be hard because you really have to humble yourself and show that you need another person. It's harder, too, when you ask people you know really well!

Every time you or Kristen or Cathy get up in front of church to talk about the Center, I always leave church thinking, "I want to help with that. I want to counsel or answer the phones or whatever." But you know what, I'm scared to death to do anything about it! But now I've just put it out there (oh no!).

I've always been ardently pro-life (maybe because my dear mama has was very pro-choice...), as you can probably tell from a recent post of my own. It's just scary to get out of your comfort zone, whether it's talking to strangers or asking for money!!

:)

lisatatj said...

Thanks Amanda.... I know what you mean...guess I have a hard time humbling myself! rats...

Let me know if you ever want me to set something up at the Pcc so you can start! We'd love to have you...or start with the Lifewalk... that's pretty non-threatening and easy, not that humbling...'less you trip and fall...heehee

I always struggle with going outside of my comfort zone... but God is (thankfully) expanding it for me -the zone ;)

Amanda said...

Lisa - We're going to be in Minnesota that weekend for a support trip! :(

Maybe we could set something up, a tour or something. :)

Thanks!

mwh said...

Re: "...none of my obsessions are normal to me...they make me go crazy, talk non-stop to strangers, and act insane in front of people..."

We all need obsessions about ministry...obsessions that do make us crazy. That's how you know you're settling down right where God wants you to be.

Thanks for sharing; spread the disease.