Thursday, December 13, 2007

Help

I don't think I should have posted the "Listening" post (see below).... I am realizing, what a huge amount of self-love I have! I heard this in my head very recently as I was listening to a conversation. I was thinking, "when is that person going to be done! I think, I don't want to talk, personally, I just want something else" O-WOW! what a huge lack of love for someone else! How could my heart be that ugly! I also am often finding myself anxiously waiting for the person to finish so I can talk, that is pretty common for me, but this seemed like my heart was even more deceptive. I wasn't interested in talking--therefore, I wasn't loving myself--right??? WRONG!

So I ask for your help... Tell me how to cultivate love for others and/or weed out self-love. I know that I need to read my Bible and Pray, but I wonder if there are some practical ideas as well. Feel free to tell me to read my Bible and pray...maybe I just need a kick in the rear end! This, by the way is not a time to encourage...just hit me with the TRUTH...
thanks!!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

thoughts:
In order to be able to aptly speak the truth in love, we must be able to listen to hearts, issues, and emotions - to the end that we may see what is at the base (or foundation) of the issue. Then we may be able to lovingly speak truth. Jesus said, "Love eachother as I have loved you." He listens to me... He knows everything yet He is patient to listen to me and to give me only what I can bear to hear at that time.
- good question.

mwh said...

I'm a really bad listener myself, so I'm not sure I have any good advice to give.

But don't be too discouraged. I think you're a good listener: The four of us talk a lot, and I'm always pontificating about something in the most convoluted way, and you always seem to be tracking well with me--that says you must not be too bad of a listener.