Tuesday, October 09, 2007

I am reading through How People Change. I found this little section (below) so helpful!

"... As J.C. Ryle said, ' A true Christian is one who has not only peace of conscience, but war within.' We are united to Christ for a purpose: 'For he chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight.' (Eph 1:4). Our new life in Christ is just that: new life. A glorious fight against the world, the flesh, and the devil is at its heart and one of the clearest signs of our union with him."

I like this because, when I feel that struggle, it feels so hard and unnatural, but I can actually view it as an encouragement, because I can view it as a sign of my salvation. Thinking that if i weren't saved, there wouldn't be a struggle. The struggle is about making me holy and blameless, and that is another way I can view the struggle, as accomplishing something....so often it does NOT feel like it is accomplishing anything.



*J.C. Ryle, Holiness: Its Nature, Hindrances, Difficulties, and Roots (Cambridge: Redwood Burn LImited, Trowbridge and Esher, 1959) pg 21
*How people change Timothy S. Lane /Paul David Tripp New growth Press 2006

2 comments:

Ben Canfield said...

i've been wanting to read that book...let me know whether you like it or not!

lisatatj said...

OK ;)